Metaxia (Sia) Kousombos Community Organizer and Fund-raiser
Metaxia “Sia” Kousombos was born in Platanaki and raised in Vlahoiti, Laconia, where she attended high school. She arrived in the United States in 1961 and married George Kousombos. They have two children Maria Kousombos and Arthur Kousombos.
Metaxia is a member of the St. George Greek Orthodox Church Philoptochos, Philadelphia Chapter. She is a board member of the church and has been a member for fifty years. She is also a member of the church choir and the PTA.
Metaxia has been the President of the Laconian Society (Mystras Chapter #50) Philadelphia for ten years and Secretary of the Laconian Society for sixteen years.
Metaxia has also served the following organizations:
- Member of the Arcadian Society of New York and the Peloponnesian Society of Philadelphia.
- Secretary of the Pan-Laconian Society of the United States and Canada.
- Vice President, Treasurer, and Member of the Daughters of Penelope, Philadelphia Chapter.
- Greek Language Secretary and Member of the Hellenic Federation of Philadelphia for twenty-five years.
- American Hellenic Institute (AHIPAC) Committee of Ethnic and Cultural Studies for eight years.
- Greek Hellenic Federation Parade Committee Director for four years Greek Hellenic Federation Festival Committee Member for six years.
- Fundraiser for Sparti Orphanage (Assilon) and Sparti Hospital raising $60,000 for an examination table.
- Fundraiser for political campaigns of Michael Dukakis, George Gekas, and Peter Liacouras.
- Honored by American Hellenic Institute for leading a march of women (“Women Walk Home”) from the United States into the Turkish occupied territories in Cyprus breaking the Attila line and entered peacefully the occupied areas of Lymbia and Achna on March 19, 1989.
- Honored by the Mayor of Sparta (Demosthenes Matalas) in 1990 for her Untiring and Devoted Services to Hellenism and American Society.