Kively Padis Hellenic University Club Founder
Kively Evangelides Padis was born in Pergamon, Asia Minor, and came to America with her family as a young child. In 1932, she graduated from Smith College with a degree in chemistry. After college, she worked as a research chemist at the Lankenau Hospital Research Institute. In 1934, she married Dr. Nicholas Padis, an Internal Medicine specialist at Lankenau Hospital.
In 1936, Dr. and Mrs. Padis—along with other professionals in the Philadelphia area—founded the Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia. Throughout her lifetime Mrs. Padis was an active participant and an influential leader in Club activities.
During the Second World War, she served as the first female President of the Hellenic University Club for three consecutive years when her energies and organizational talents were needed. Supporting the Greek War Relief and directing the Emergency Aid Bazaar were primary among her war years achievements.
Twenty-five years later, in 1970, Mrs. Padis stepped forward to lead the Hellenic University Club’s newly organized Scholarship Grant Program and chaired the Scholarship Committee for several years.
Among her positions as an active volunteer, Kively Padis served as a member of the Board of Trustees and First Vice President of the YWCA of Philadelphia, President of the Women’s Board of Lankenau Hospital, and President of the Philadelphia Region of the Pennsylvania Association of Hospital Auxiliaries.
Dr. and Mrs. Padis had two daughters, Daphne Apostolidis and Rhea Higgins, and four grandchildren. They were members of St. Luke Greek Orthodox Church. Kively Padis passed away in 2001 at the age of 90.