Catherine Moraitis Owner of the Aramingo Diner
Catherine Moraitis was born in 1916 to Anna and Thomas Steriou. She was the oldest of 4 children, Markos (Mike), Elefterios (Lefty), and George. They grew up in Philadelphia’s “Greek Town” on Delhi Street near St. George Greek Orthodox Cathedral, where she attended grammar school. She was an altar girl, a member of the First Choir, and grew up in the church. Later she served as Treasurer and President of the Ladies Philoptochos “Ai Myrofori.” During her tenure as President, she was instrumental in getting the Ladies Philoptochos room built and all the variances needed. She also served as President of the Velvendino Society.
In 1940, she married William Moraitis. In 1957, they opened the Aramingo Diner where she was responsible for the “front of the house.”
She is survived by her daughter, son-in-law, and four grandchildren.